Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process that involves strategies, techniques, and tactics that are used to capture the attention of a surfer on the web. To make the most of the SEO, you have to design the website in such a way that it can make it to the top of the results on Google, Bing, Yahoo, and other search engine sites. Let’s take this analogy to understand the importance of SEO. The optimization part of the website is similar to building a house on the land. Just like a house, it needs to be given the proper care that it needs to be equipped with different rooms, interior designing elements, wallpaper, shelves and other important accessories. Thus, the visitor on the website could be the person who wants to buy the land and the architect is the person who is designing the home for him.
Usually, like in real life scenarios, there are several individuals who are in a queue to buy the house. So according to the analogy, surfers on the web would be lining up to visit your page and gain information from the same. At the same time, the importance of this particular aspect is that if the house has not been designed in a good way, not many people would be interested in buying it. This is why SEO is so important.
These are the basic elements that every house designer, of course, a web designer, in this case, should never forget:
- Anchor text is an essential element in designating the interlinks within the website. This is the clickable text that one can find on the URLs on a website. This is similar to doors in a house, and what house can function without doors.
- The image optimization and meta descriptions on the website are essentially the wallpapers and interior look and feel of the rooms, without which a house would look bland and uninteresting.
- Customization and client preference are very important elements as far designing the layout and overall feel of a house is concerned. The importance of using user-friendly permalinks is as important as giving the client the opportunity to choose the colors and the external design of the doors in their house. The important factor, in this case, is not to use any exclamation marks in the URLs.
- If the items and shelves in the house are too cluttered, the overall look and feel of the house are affected considerably. This is why it is important to leave enough space in the interiors of the house, so that it feels majestic and wholesome, rather than cramped. In this way, it is important to understand the importance of hyphens to increase readability on the website.
- What happens when instead of leaving enough space in the rooms, you flood it with little trinkets and other ornamental items. An overcrowded house exudes a desperation that affects the ambiance of the house as well. Hence, in this case, it is important to make use of hyphens(-) rather than underscores(_)in the URL.
- Session IDs are special tags which are essentially used for tracking visitors for a particular amount of time. This is like placing a GPS tracker on your client and monitoring him/her as they move around the house. This would be a serious attack on the privacy of the owner and hence, it is better if it is avoided.
- The mark of a good architect is uniformity and balance. In this case, uniformity can be maintained by using lowercase characters rather than capital characters in the URL. You do not want your house screaming out to any visitor about how good it looks!
- By creating passages and corridors between the different rooms in your house, an architect can increase the internal accessibility. Internal linking on a website is as important as creating links between different rooms in a house.
- A designer can choose to create plaques on top of the doorways according to which the owner might understand the way towards different rooms and can have a better sense of direction. This is how sticky posts can be beneficial on a website.
- The home décor is a very important element of the house as a whole. The importance lies in the fact that home décor speaks volumes about a room, even though it is only a part of the house as a whole. This is how category description paragraphs can work.
- Every visitor to the house interprets the feel of the house differently, even though the home décor and the interiors of the house are the same. This is why the RSS feed is an important element on a website so that you can give your visitors exactly what they need.
- An architect who is completely detached from his/her work is the only one who would hand over the keys of a house to someone without showing them around and giving them enough information about the house itself. The same way, it is imperative that a website has the required “About Us” and “Contacts” pages.
- The house can be considered as the domain while the rooms are the subdomains in the context of the website, but both elements have to be interconnected on the website as well, just like the rooms and the house are inseparable with each other.
- The house and all its constituents from the gist of its content, which essentially also includes the way the client feels about the house. The content is one of the most necessary factors on a website as far as SEO is concerned, without which it is as good as living in a house without any interior decorations, wallpapers, shelves, and other elements.
- What good is a house that stays the same over several years at the end? Without the periodic renovation and tweaking, the essence of the house is lost. The importance of constantly updating the content is as important as ensuring a continued essence of a house is.