Search Engine Optimisation has always played and continues to play an important role in the development of a website and in attracting traffic to the same. Link building is a significant branch of SEO that helps in improving the ranking and the relevance of your website. For this, proper link building tools and link building services are essential.
How is link building relevant?
Link building strategies essentially involve acquiring hyperlinks from other websites to your own.
Search engines use these links to:
- Discover new web pages
- Determine ranking of the web page in their list.
When you are looking up something on a search engine, what you are doing is actually looking up at the directory of the search engine – not directly at the web page.
What the search engines do is add a link to their directory, and then the links on that page and the links on those pages.
Thus, link building becomes critical because you are essentially improving your rankings with the search engines.
Now, that we have established the fact that link building is important, we can conclude that proper link building strategies should be worked on.
Search Engine Optimisation and link building have become more complex over the years. So, this article is divided into two sections. The first part talks about the basics of Link Building and the second part works with the advanced steps to undertake.
Basics of Link Building:
- Acquire backlinks by simply asking people. But keep in mind to use the links that are in the content rather than the links that are on the header and the footer.
- Build relationships with other websites while you take their links. This could be done by adding interesting and relevant comments on the content.
- Give testimonial links. The advantage of this is three way – you gain relevance with search engines, get backlinks and build customer support.
- Start and develop a regular and active blog which focuses on your industry and your client’s needs.
- Write some good guest posts. Around here, keep in mind that the blog you’re writing for, focus on the quality of your post and at the same time remember that a bad post can damage your reputation. At the end, keep in mind the post is not about how admirable and remarkable you or your company happens to be.
- List your website into trustworthy directories and indexes. Because, when you search something on a search engine, they just don’t look up the linked web but also check for authenticity (along with keywords)
- While link building, keep in mind that the links you are adding are the ones that will positively impact your websites because inauthentic links would negatively impact the rankings you’re trying to raise with the entire process in the first place.
- Cannot stress this enough, thus will repeat: Pay attention to relevancy, quality and client needs.
Advanced Link Building:
- Discover the common backlinks of common companies, and grab them. If they have them, you can get these backlinks, too. SEMRUSH is a robust SEO tool that will help you do just that.
- Recover the broken links on your website. Normally, this is because the location of the page changed or the link is misspelled. Either way, you’d see the annoying 404 error, which is dreaded by most website owners. For resolving this, use the Broken Link Check. It is a validator showing you which hyperlinks are dead and how to locate them in the HTML code. I can already hear the sigh of relief. In addition – it is free!
- Turn all the mentions about you on the web into backlinks. You can do this simply by contacting the webmaster and asking them to convert it. This is one of an essential parts of social media marketing.
- Local SEO could be really helpful.
- Use OpenSiteExplorer to find the strongest and healthiest links from your competitors. The pro version is pretty cheap and it provides a full analysis report on how to increase your focus on keywords and relevant text and also how to properly link the domains.
- You should also be aware of the most relevant link building openings and opportunities on the internet. There are many websites, blogs, and platforms that allow you to place your backlinks. The SERP Research Tool helps find the most relevant and strongest places.
- Be aware of the competitor’s activities, including new links. Now, this might seem like a mammoth task but using Link Alerts makes this mundane task quite easy.
- Even the strongest and the best content might remain unnoticed if they are not promoted on social media. Content marketing plays an important role here. Chances are low that people would be surfing websites and would come upon an article, but if the article comes up in their newsfeed the chances of them noticing it is higher.
- Short is sweet for the fast paced world, what can be explained with five hundred words can be explained with one infographic. So, make ample as well as significant use of the infographics.
- Use lists. Our brain loves lists. It is a proven fact that they are easily memorized and of course, we just love to click on the lists that come up on the social media feeds. BuzzFeed anyone?
- The more you know, the more you can implement. So, research, make reports – study already existing research papers and case studies, review them and make comparative studies. Anything that improves your knowledge and makes you the first to think of the thing in a certain way.
- Create newsletters and this can help you be in the back of the client’s mind. Create quality content and then highlight it all in your newsletter. Also, try including some call to action buttons in your
- Create additional materials like ebooks, white papers, manuals, guides, digests.
- Once again, concentrate on your competitors and learn what has worked for them and what hasn’t.
To conclude, link building is an intricate matter, adding to the already developed web, you have to be creative and it will take some time and effort. But with awesome content and proper link building SEO rankings will be a breeze for sure! Have fun creating a digital empire for yourself!