There is a long list of e-commerce websites available on the internet. This fact affects the earning dimension of the commercial sector. The key is that many people tend to just browse the website without any intention of actually buying anything. The solution to this lax approach is to adopt a double-edged tactic. In this tactic, one side involves content and products that convince the surfer to become a buyer, while the other involves engaging in the (PPC Marketing) pay per click method of advertising.
What is Pay per Click?
Let’s clear up any confusion that you might have with pay per click first.
Pay per Click or Cost per Click is a method of advertising that is used to attract traffic to the website; simple yet vague. But the difference comes in with the payment mode, instead of having a set amount for remuneration you pay the publisher only when the advertisement is clicked on.
Why PPC marketing?
Well, apart from being a cost effective way of remuneration, here is a list of advantages of using the pay per click marketing method.
- Increased Traffic: Generally, pay per click advertisement banners are placed at the top of the website. This increases the chance of people looking at the advertisements on your website.
The simple psychology behind advertisement functions here – the more one sees a certain product in an advertisement, the more is the familiarity that one starts to develop with the same. Thus, increased familiarity among the users can substantially increase their recall for that product, which in turn strengthens the urge to click on the advertisement itself.
Click-through rate (CTR) is THE most important conversion metric. – Larry Kim
Converting traffic becomes easier once you attract the said traffic to the website and this is the point where content comes in. Optimize Web Content For Search Engine and Humans
- Reliability: Yes, there is a certain degree of reliability when it comes down to the pay per click method. How? Well, search engines often change their ranking algorithm. Thus, for one algorithm you might be on a high rank but may be de-ranked due to the latest algorithm update. The key here would be having more than one method established for gaining traffic. Along with a strong and stable search engine optimization strategy, you could have the pay per click advert as an added benefit. Even though SEO is the preferred method for your website if you are in it for the long game, PPC can help you get almost immediate results depending on how well you are able to tame it.
- Efficient Tracking Method: You need not be told about the significance of proper tracking and statistics about your website. The added advantage that you as a website owner can gain from is showing the buyers positive acquisition and conversion rate numbers that enables you to chart out your journey and create graphic representations according to the data.
PPC stands with another advantage here as it comes with a tracking system and calculated numbers. After one PPC advertising campaign, you just need to log in to your website where you will get all the numbers needed for understanding the pros and cons of the said Pay Per Click campaign. It also helps in identifying the areas that are prospering and the areas that require special attention or a different approach in the commercial realm.
- Target Approach: PPC might seem like a dangerous step, with conversion rates being extremely slow. But nowadays, the target approach has been enabled for these advertisements. The first step in this case involves understanding and utilising your mailing list, that is, the list of people who have already purchased products from you. The advertisement campaign targets this list, where ‘like-minded’ prospective buyers are singled out and the advertisement is shown to them over and over. This is called remarketing. In e-commerce remarketing has proven to increase the lifetime value of the clients.
Additionally, this approach also increases the prominence of your website. This is especially due to the fact that PPC allows you to choose advertisements based on the content that you already have on your website. This eliminates the need for keyword optimization and landing page optimization. Simply put, with a more defined audience, there would be higher traffic as well as improvised conversion rates.
- Incorporation with Other Channels: Just like how email lists are used for remarketing, the social media platforms can be used with PPC marketing to improve traffic and conversion. Pay Per Click Marketing services has a customization option where integration with other channels leads to better interaction with clients as well as prospective clients.
Social media is just one dimension which acts as a channel through which you can connect PPC advertisements directed to your website. It can be used to send personal messages to the customers and help cater to the customer needs. All one needs is the proper skills for dealing with PPC.
Conclusion: Pay Per Click is not going anywhere any time soon, it is here to stay and with that fact clear in the minds of marketers and publishers, the PPC method would only improve further. Every e-commerce website has different needs to cater to, while at the same time, with numerous changes occurring in the digital marketing and content as a whole, our inherent needs will also keep changing. Thus, what worked for one website might not necessarily work for you. At the same time, what worked for your website a year ago might seem considerably less powerful than new technologies that are designed for the ever-changing digital landscape. Thus, looking at the bigger picture and considering all the pros and cons, a method could be adopted for your preferences, which can be tailored according to the experiences that you have during your digital marketing journey.